Department of CHEMISTRY
chemistry magazine launched
The latest edition of ChemYork Spring 2018 is here! Catch up on all the top features, news and articles on different aspects of the Department of Chemistry at York now. We hope that you will enjoy reading the magazine and welcome any feedback you may have, including suggestions (and offers) of items that might appear in future editions.
Hello everyone. To our newest alumni, who have just graduated, congratulations on all of your hard work and good luck for the future. We hope that your years at York have helped prepare you for whatever happens next. To all of you, do stay in touch, let us know what you are doing and where you are and please pop in to say hello when you are passing. Now we are halfway through the academic year the department already has lots of achievements to look back on and many more to look forwards to in the coming months.
Mark Hodson (Head of Department)
A year in industry UPDATE
2017 has seen 6 of our second year students successfully undertake placements in varying sectors. Developing key employability skills in varied sectors including supply chain management, crime and rural affairs and HSE, they really are making the most of their time away.
If you have just graduated, please do stay in touch with us here in the Environment Department as we can help you get that all important first graduate job.
Just to give you a flavour of some of the research grants that have been confirmed to date in 2017/8 (in no particular order!)
- Some research grants which have been confirmed to date in 2017/8 are
- Josh Kirshner and Richard Friend – British Academy funding to work on a multi-disciplinary project on bio-energy development in Brazil
- David Rippon – Leverhulme funding to work on glacial change
- Rob Marchant – Global Challenges Research Programme funding to work on global development in research
- Piran White, Julia Touza Montero, Callum Roberts and Jon Hill – NERC funding to work on coastal ecosystem financing
- Roland Gehrels and Richard Payne – NERC funding for work on carbon storage in intertidal environments
- Richard Payne – NERC funding to work on capital trade offs in peatlands
In other news…… the department is up four places in The Complete University Guide’ rankings for Geography and Environmental Sciences
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SCIENCES
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice – 2017 entry
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS
- MSc Mathematics Sciences – 2018 entry